Qualcomm made one of its first major announcements for the year, the Snapdragon 888 Plus. And as the name suggests, this new chipset is an improvement of the sibling Snapdragon 888 chipset.
According to the announcement, the Snapdragon 888 Plus comes with the upgraded Kryo 680 CPU that runs at lightning-fast speeds up to 3.0 GHz. The AI Engine on the chipset performs 20% better than the sibling counterpart.
Specification of Snapdragon 888 Plus
- CPU: Qualcomm Kryo 680, up to 3 GHz, 64-bit.
- GPU: Adreno-660.
- AI Engine: Hexagon 780, 32 TOPS.
- Modem: Snapdragon X60 5G Modem-RF, 7.5 Gbps DL, 3 Gbps UL, global 5G multi-SIM.
- Wi-Fi: FastConnect 6900, Wi-Fi 6E, Wi-Fi 6, Wi-Fi 5, Wi-Fi 802.11/a/b/g/n.
- Camera: Spectra 580 ISP, Triple camera up to 28 MP, Dual camera up to 64 MP, Single camera up to 200 MP. 720p @ 960 fps, 8K @ 30 fps.
- Display: 4K @ 60 Hz, QHD+ @ 144 Hz.
- Process technology: 5 nm.
- Other: Bluetooth 5.2, USB 3.1.
One of the few differences between the 888 Plus and the 888 is in the clock speed, which has been boosted to 2.995 GHz. Meanwhile, the sixth-gen Qualcomm Hexagon 780 AI processor on the 888Plus can now deliver 32TOPS (Tera Operations Per Second). Apart from that most things remain similar to the 888 chipsets.
As of now, Asus, Motorola, Xiaomi, and Vivo have all stated that the new Snapdragon 888 Plus processor will be used in their forthcoming smartphones. The Snapdragon 888 Plus is expected to be available in devices as early as Q3 2021.
via - GSMArena