First devices with Windows 10 Mobile have been shipped late last year already. Meanwhile the operating system is also available for older devices running Windows Phone 8.1, well at least for some. However the reason why Microsoft didn’t release the operating system for all older Lumia phones was the limited hardware. Older hardware, has a hard time, yes what a joke, running the new operating system.
Now the company is seeking help from Windows Insiders who are running the Windows Insider Preview of Windows 10 Mobile on a Lumia 930, Lumia 830 or a Lumia 1520. The update hasn’t even been released for the Lumia 1520 since Microsoft had received bad feedback from Windows Insiders on this device. So it seems like Microsoft works on making Windows 10 Mobile available for additional devices, but they need our help for that.
Mike Mongeau has posted some instructions in the Microsoft Forum how Windows Insiders can help making Windows 10 Mobile better for the Lumia 930, Lumia 830 and the Lumia 1520. In fact it is about the battery consumption on these phones, so here we go:
1. Setting up Field Medic App
- Download and install the Field Medic app from the Store.
Field Medic app.
- Tap Advanced > Choose which ETW providers to use.
- Deselect all options except for “Power_ScreenOff” and “UxAppPlatform”.
- Return to the advance page, and tap on Configure system log and crash dump options.
- Enable Include power logs.
2. Using Field Medic App
- Ensure that all apps which are known to be heavy battery users, like camera, navigation, games etc are closed.
- Launch the Field Medic app, and tap Start Logging.
- Navigate away from Field Medic and use your device per normal for about 20 minutes to an hour.
- Once complete, go back into Field Medic and tap Stop Logging.
- Now Field Medic will take some time to generate and collect all the necessary logs. Once the collection is complete, a dialog will appear for you to enter some basic information about your logs. Fill in the report title and report steps. Tap the Save icon
to save the report locally.
3. Finding and delivering the logs
- Please provide us with the zipped logs that are stored on the phone under the folder
Phone > Field Medic (accessible with a PC) with a description of anything that the investigation teams may find useful.
- Let me know when you have logs ready and I’ll reach out via a Private Message for collection from several of you.
If you want to help Microsoft with that an submit some changelogs, head over to the Microsoft Forum. Together with the log files from the Field Medic app you also need to submit the name of your phone model, the build you are running and the version of your Chip SoC. You can find this information if you go to Settings –> System –> About –> More Info.