In the morning GroupMe was in the news headlines already. Microsoft had pushed out an update for the app on Windows 10 Mobile and integrated Video Search” into the app. Now the app is once again in the headlines because, according to MSPowerUser, Microsoft is currently working on bringing the app also to desktop and tablet versions of Windows 10.
With Windows 10 Microsoft has introduced the Universal Windows Platform, this should make it extremely easy to offer one and the same app on all different screen sizes where Windows 10 is used. That’s why it is called Universal Windows app, which will then be looking almost the same on your tablet and PC as the current app which is available for Windows 10 Mobile. Initially GroupMe has been bought by Microsoft together with Skype and that was not an intentional decision but more coincidence. That was probably also the reason why they company didn’t really care a lot about this app, however it seems like things have changed since a while.
As a Universal Windows app, not only the design but also features will be very familiar. Below I have embed a few screenshots which Mehedi at MSPowerUser has published together with the news about this Universal app.
GroupMe for Windows 10 features
As mentioned above already, GroupMe for Windows 10 is expected to be launched as a Universal App. Therefor it will have almost the same design but also almost the same features like you are used to from mobile devices. Here is a list of features which are very likely to be implemented according to MSPowerUser:
- Start chatting – Add anyone to a group via their phone number or email address. If they are new to GroupMe, they can start chatting over SMS immediately.
- Integrated with Windows 10 – View your groups right in the People app, and you can reply to messages fast with interactive notifications. Share photos and links with your groups from other apps.
- Control notifications – You’re in charge! Choose when and what type of notifications you receive. Mute specific chats, or the entire app – you can even leave or end group chats.
- Say more than words – Go ahead – fall in love with our exclusive emoji.
- Leave texting behind – With direct messages, you can use all the features you love for group chat, but one-to-one. It’s like texting, but better.
- Chat wherever you are – Including from your computer at groupme.com
Are some of our readers using GroupMe for messaging? Feel free to drop us a comment below with your thoughts on this upcoming Universal Windows app and if you like Microsoft’s messaging service. Stay tuned for more Microsoft related news in the future.
You might also like
More from Apps
The company's latest transparency report says that. It had removed more than 104 million videos, in the first half of …