Just last week Microsoft had released a huge update for their Groove Music app on Windows 10 Mobile. A lot of users are complaining about the lack of features in the app, constant crashing, slowness and so on. The update which had been released last week from Microsoft addressed almost all of these complaints, bringing performance improvements and bug fixes, new features and made the app snappier or more responsive.
When Microsoft had released this update it was Windows Insider exclusive, a beta version so to say. Open to be tested by Windows Insiders in order to report bug fixes to make it more polished for the public. Starting today, all Windows 10 Mobile Insiders, no matter if Windows Insider or not, can download and install this update. Ellen Kilbourne has today twittered that version 3.6.1886.0 of Groove Music is now live in the app store and she did even say thanks to all Windows Insiders for testing the app.
— Ellen Kilbourne (@ellenment) April 20, 2016
One of the big new things which this update is bringing is the fact, that the app is now truly Universal. That means always when Microsoft pushes out an update for either the desktop or the mobile app, there will be also updated the other platform. So to say we will now always get the same builds of Groove Music on all our Windows 10 devices. According to Ellen Kilbourne a lot of Insider have been asking for the gapless playback feature to be implemented in the desktop feature. This feature has been usable in the mobile version of the app for quite some time already and guess what since th app is now truly universal it is also available on desktops.
Here are all the new features and improvements in one handy list for you which Ellen Kilbourne had published last week at the Microsoft Community website:
- Improvements to playback including:
- When unplayable tracks appear in Now Playing, we properly gray them out and jump over them without displaying an error
- We prevent you from playing unplayable content (for instance, if you are offline and try to play a streaming album we won’t try to play it, we’ll immediately tell you it can’t be played and why)
- We added extra telemetry to playback errors so that we can continue to improve the app
- We removed the app’s dependencies on Xbox Live which means you don’t need an Xbox Live account to use Groove (and sign-in is much faster and more reliable)!
- It’s easier to tell what’s happening when Groove is sync’ing your collection for the first time.
- You’ll see “Unknown Artists” less often in your collection because the app looks at both song artist and album artist metadata.
- The process we use to show additional metadata to what’s in your local files is 10x faster and gives better results
- The app defaults to Explore for search results if you have a Groove Music Pass and you have don’t have a limited data plan.
- When viewing artists, you can view their work by albums or songs. Try it by selecting “Songs view” when viewing an artist.
- Radio stations can be started from albums and songs – the app will start the radio based on the artist.
- The app now shows your collection size at the top of the collection views.
- On mobile, background art fills the screen so that it’s seen under the system icons at the top.
- You can use ‘Refine’ to filter your collection by source (OneDrive, Pass, Purchased, On this device only).
- If something gets really out of whack in your collection, you can now choose to ‘Reset’ your cloud collection.
- We added jumplist support for collection views organized by release year.
- The ‘hotlinks’ in Album reviews and Artist bios now work on mobile.
- We added a simple lockscreen setting for Continuum. We made lots of styling updates for Continuum too!
If you check for updates in the app store on your Windows 10 Mobile device, the update might not appear just yet. However, it should be only a matter pf hours since the team responsible for the Groove Music app has promoted the app to the production ring which means it is available to all users. Once you have received the update, feel free to drop me acomment below with your opinion on the new app what you think which features are still missing in the app
More from Microsoft
Microsoft has been working on the Apps feature for it's Your Phone Companion. Looks like this feature is finally rolling …
Microsoft has finally launched its Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on the Galaxy phones and tablets. As of now, you can …