A couple of days ago HERE, a former part of Nokia, announced that they will be discontinuing their service for Windows this summer. The HERE Apps will not be updated anymore as well but at least they are giving you some time to switch over to the Universal Maps App from Microsoft. However, if you have a closer look at the Maps App from Microsoft you will notice that in the about section HERE is sill mentioned as the one responsible for the maps material. So after all there is not changing very much except that Microsoft is now developing the on its own but you will get the same precisions navigating like you are used to from the HERE Maps and Drive apps.
With the new version of the maps what which will be released with the Anniversary Update this summer for consumers, the app has been completely overhauled and has got a lot bug fixes, performance improvements and new features. The app is now a lot more stable and reliable which makes it very usable on current builds of Windows 10 Mobile. Today the company has released another update for the app, adding some nice features like the ability to save a location if your location can’t be found or the airport venue maps.
Here is the full changelog of the update, released today:
- Ability to manually save your location when GPS isn’t available, which can now be used by Windows and other apps and services that you allow.
- Reliability, accessibility, and performance improvements.
- New airport venue maps. You’ll see a purple layout on places that have it and tapping on it will show you the indoor map for that airport. You can also switch between multiple floors.
- Fixed remaining issues with voice instructions, all languages supported should now be speaking instructions.
- Fixed several bugs that were leaving guided directions in weird states (arrows disappeared or it stopped tracking your location)
- Fixed issue with streetwise becoming unresponsive when you were dragging the mouse outside the app window.
- Reliability, accessibility, and performance improvements
Microsoft is eagerly working on the Windows Maps App in order to make it keep up with the phenomenal HERE Apps suite. Featurewise the app is very nice use already, however the performance of the app still needs a tiny bit of work. Sometime the app is not locating you right, or your location in jumping around the map. It can also happen that an address which you have entered can be found but not the specific street number which can be very annoying. Apart from these two problems the app is working pretty well.
What do you think of the loss of the separate HERE Apps and the new Windows Maps App? Drop me a comment below with your opinion on this topic and stay tuned for more Microsoft related news in the future. Download the update below, if your phone hasn’t detected it yet.
More from Microsoft
Microsoft has been working on the Apps feature for it's Your Phone Companion. Looks like this feature is finally rolling …
Microsoft has finally launched its Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on the Galaxy phones and tablets. As of now, you can …