The Windows Mobile Insider Program started at the same time like the one for the desktop version of Windows 10, though there has not been set a release date for the mobile version of the operating system from Microsoft yet. The Insider Preview is in a very stable status now what convinced Microsoft to release and ship their first new flagship devices with the new operating system pre-installed.
A couple of days ago the company had released a new Update for the Windows Insider Community, Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586.29. This Update can be imagined like a cumulative Update for your Windows 10 PC. So there are not any new features or anything included, though to keep your mobile phone safe from hackers, an operating system needs continual support in order to fix security wholes, flash player security vulnerabilities, bug fixes and all that stuff. Windows 10 Mobile will be the ‘last’ version of the mobile operating system same like Windows 10 for Desktops and receive updates throughout the year. Therefor Microsoft will now bring a few cumulative updates for the operating system from time to time, sometimes maybe with a few design enhancements but the focus of these updates will be on performance improvements and so on. Of course there will also come bigger updates again with some functionality additions and design changes.
However while this update is available as a Windows Insider since a few days already now, as an owner of a Microsoft Lumia 950 or Lumia 950 Xl you had to wait until today in order to be able to install this update on your new Windows 10 Mobile device. The cool thing is, that this update is probably the first update from Microsoft which is available for both carrier branded and unbranded devices at the same time. So head over to the Settings app and check for updates even if you have a branded device.
Here are all the changes which Windows 10 Mobile Build 10.0.10586.29 is bringing for your shiny new Lumia device:
- You will see additional improvements in upgrade experience, including devices with limited free space, map rendering on update, and RCS enabled device settings.
- Improved application backwards compatibility for Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight applications.
- Edge performance and stability has been improved. Auto-completion has been updated to allow user to more easily edit the end of the URL in the address bar.
- Additional Bluetooth stability improvements.
- We have resolve issues on switching the active cellular connectivity profile on Dual SIM devices.
- Data profiles are now correctly restored in the out of box experience that would prevent some devices from sending or receiving MMS messages.
Have you received the update already or are you still waiting for it? Don’t panic if you haven’t seen the update popping up on your device already, Microsoft is currently rolling out the update to all devices and it can take some time until it is available everywhere. Drop me a comment below with your update experience on Windows 10 Mobile and if you can see some improvements the update brought, already. Stay turned for more Microsoft related news in the future and have a look at our YouTube Channel for a few video samples of the Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL.